Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Girl

A piece that must be my mom's earliest art at least from school. She never mentioned this piece and it was tucked away in one of her many portfolios. I would of loved to of asked her about it. Was it an assignment? Knowing my mom and her kindness the bleak subject of this girl against a war torn setting is intriguing and  shows a different side to her that she rarely showed.

charcoal pastel

detail - mom rarely painted people or had people in her paintings. Again this makes this piece particularly unique for me. 

Mom's signature, like her painting style, changed over time. Here she signed "BmS". Barbara Mary Sisko

I don't know much about my mom's early art education. This would be interesting to learn. I would think she had some art instruction since she always pursued art classes well into her 50's. 


2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's signed "Barb", I think it's "BmS" - Barbara Mary Sisko. Notice how the last letter if it was a "b" the lower lobe would be turned around. I like how she plays with the lower case "m". Cool to see how she changes this over time. I'm sure Jim and Lisa can better relate to how to sign artwork and how that might evolve over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Aunt Eliz - That one girl portrait , (could be self portrait? ) I keep looking at the signature,, can you blow it up! could it be Barbara Mary Margaret Sisko.. BMMS.or BMS. these charcoals and pastels could be from high school era 1955- 1959. She joined the Art Classes taught by Sister Elaine during this time.

    ReplyDelete