Wednesday, July 29, 2015

More Early School Work

Another early religious work by mom. This one is obviously Christ and not as strong as the Angel. Mom seemed to feel the same, since this was stashed away amongst other old art pieces and forgotten. I had never known about it until we were cleaning out the house and collecting her art. 

Christ; Pastel  1960

 I do wonder if she was copying from another painting or if in class she used a model. Perhaps, she was doing this from her imagination.  The other interesting thing is the art we have from my mom's school period are all pastels, which makes me wonder if she dabbled in other mediums especially watercolor. Her preferred paint form of choice in later years. 

The most interesting thing about this painting is the signature. Mom has abandoned "BmS" for her full name and we see for the first time "Barbara Sisko' .  Again, she kindly put the date on the painting. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember this picture distinctly as it was re-created by my sister Barbara and the second one was given to our neighbors, the Saflarski's, who lived across the corner and then moved one block over to Sonora Ave. I'm not sure if it was commissioned by them and paid for or done as a gift, because their eldest son was being ordained as a priest. I believe the second work was done in chalks, also, as I recall a problem with finding a place to buy the "fixative," the stuff you spray to "fix" the chalk onto the paper. I recall the work hanging in the Salarski's living room, but have no idea whatever happened to it. Bruce

    ReplyDelete