Thursday, April 6, 2017

The Old Mill

It being Mom's birthday today, thought I should post something to her art blog. Shame I haven't posted anything in awhile and now Uncle Bruce has passed on in 2016, so on more person with a memory of mom is gone.

In honor of Uncle Bruce, who loved history, let's post "The Old Mill".  One of Mom's earlier landscape   oils depicting the Old Mill in Saddle Brook, NJ. I believe this mill has been around since the 1700's and supposedly Washington marched his troops by it as they escaped from the battle of Fort Lee on his way to the Delaware River and eventually the battle of Trenton. This painting always seemed to move around our house and I can't remember a time it didn't occupy some wall. I have very fond memories of it and always liked it.

The Old Mill  oil  1970's

The Old Mill detail. It is crude for sure, naive, she is still developing herself as an artist. Mom always worked on her skills and never gave up. Maybe that's why I like this painting. 


detail of the two foot bridges - I like the graphic simplicity 
of these 
detail - Mom always excelled with nature and the foreground 
foliage is definitely the strongest aspect of the painting 

detail - 
still signing Capobianco - placing this painting in the 1970's




No comments:

Post a Comment