Friday, April 24, 2020

April 24, 2020

On April 24, Barbara Mary Sisko Capobianco, artist, nurse, mom and grandmother, died. A victim of both Alzheimer's and ultimately Covid-19. She was 78. Mom, was a great and wonderful person. A nurse, she would go out of her way to help people. People she didn’t even know that well. She certainly would have been on the frontline today during the pandemic, even at 78.  Everyone who knew her considered her one of those rare people around us -  An angel on Earth. She was also an artist as this blog attests to who dreamed of retiring and dedicating herself to painting. Sadly it was all robbed from her by Alzheimer’s. And now at least she is free of that.  She is a fixed star that I and my siblings guide our lives by and we’ve all missed her for some time now. To honor her, I could post so many different paintings that mom did, many of them quiet and beautiful, much like her. I've settled on this one that hangs in my office, above the door. I pass beneath it as I come an go. A watercolor, her media of choice from 1977 onward,  it speaks to me as an image of freedom, soaring into that gigantic sky. However, that tiny house, it seems so alone but resilient, lost and forgotten but sweet and kind, a refuge, safe, a symbol of home. All elements I would apply to my Mom. There was a day in the late 70's, maybe 80, that this image spoke to her enough that she would paint it. And now she speaks to me through it.  - love you mom. Jimmy.

the painting 
( click on to view larger )


detail 

detail 
 love how she handled the grass in this one

detail 
when mom got loose you could can tell she was enjoying painting.


detail 
Her signature is her full Barbara Sisko Capobianco

No comments:

Post a Comment